I am always looking at a personal website for information about the person: who they are and how they got to that point. So here’s some random facts from my life that help tell my story.
– I was born and raised in a small town in south Arkansas.
– I am shy, introverted, and a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP). That means I am often quiet, and need more time alone than others. I am not, nor ever will be, the life of the party, but I am the one who will listen to you when you need to talk.
– Until I left home to go to college, I had never moved other than into my own bedroom at age 8. As an adult, I’ve moved 16 times. Sometimes it was to a different place in the same town; other times to a new town/state. I also spent a year abroad. (see further down)
– I have a Bachelor’s degree in History from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (1985) and a Master’s Degree in Art History from Southern Methodist University (1995).
– In my mid-20s, I lived in England for a year, which allowed me to research my MA Thesis, and to know what it feels like to be a foreigner.
– I have one child, who is transgendered.
– I re-designed clothes and jewelry and sold them on Etsy. Very much a part-time hobby, and I didn’t sell enough to take it further.
– I helped with costuming for a local theater in Memphis and on an independent film.
– I started my own business in 2009 providing virtual assistance to small business owners. I still have a couple of clients I work with.
– I dug myself out of $13,000 of credit card debt. It took just over 5 years. Some days I thought it would never end, but it did.
– I am a PADI Open Water certified SCUBA diver.
– For my 50th birthday, I moved to Florida in my Honda Accord. That was possible because I gave away anything that I didn’t think I would need and that didn’t fit in my car.
– A few months later, I bought a sailboat and lived aboard for 6 months. Then I met my boyfriend (he was a boat detailer in my marina) and soon after, became a dirt dweller again. Five years later we married!
– I have developed a love of gardening, both flowers and things I can eat. Both of my grandmother’s loved growing things, and I seem to have finally found this out about myself later in life. Weeding and puttering around in the garden and yard are a great way for me to stop thinking so much and just let ideas flow.
– After being nearsighted my entire life, I had cataract surgery in 2016. For my replacement lenses, I chose to correct for distance, so now I am farsighted. Still trying to get used to it!